(Reported by Washington Post) The U.S. military says 10 civilians, including seven children, were killed in a drone strike in Kabul last month and apologizes for the incident.
McKenzie said, By August 29 airstrike targeted an ISIS suicide bomber because of a threat to US-led troops at the airport.
when reports of civilian casualties surfaced, the top US general called the attack is correct.
Marine Corps General Frank McKenzie, head of US Central Command told to the reporters that at the time of the attack, I was convinced that the attack had saved our forces at the airport from a potential threat.
He said after our investigation has now revealed that it was a tragic mistake.
He added, he now believes it is unlikely that those killed were linked to ISIS or a direct threat to U.S. forces. And he also said the Pentagon was considering compensation.
Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin said the drone strike killed an Ahmadi man who was working for a non-profit organization called Nutrition and Education International.
The defense secretary also said, we now know that there was no connection between Ahmadi and ISIS in Khurasan and that their activities on that day were completely harmless and did not relate to all the threats we thought we were facing. We apologize and will try to learn from this terrible mistake.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said at the time that seven people had been killed in the attack.
The airstrikes came three days after a suicide bombing at Kabul airport killed 13 American soldiers and about 80 Afghan civilians.
Leave a Reply